Thursday, February 26, 2009

On the Turning Away

I signed into my account today and saw how long it's been since the last time I deigned to post--over 3 months. I'd been thinking about it for a few weeks, but that last bit of info was what put it over the top for me: it's time to put this blog to bed.

There are a few reasons that led to my decision:

  1. Childbirth. Once the mini-BG was born, the range of things that I could waste my free time on was drastically reduced to only those that I really, really wanted to do. As evidenced here, blogging usually didn't make the cut.
  2. Yadda yadda yadda. While I wanted to dedicate time to writing essays (or rants), more often than not what I ended up with would have made a nifty Facebook status update.
  3. Facebook. I've enjoyed using FB more in the past few months than I have slogging over to here for the past year or so. With FB, all I need is a sentence and I feel like I've fed the blog beast, even if that content has all the depth of a Michael Bay movie. It also inspired a lot more frivolity on my part; everything here feels like it needed to have weight. As if, "It's a blog post, it'd better be important." Over at FB, I can wax whimsical for a few words about how great "wax" is as a verb, and I'm out. It's been a very freeing experience.
So, I'll be slowly dismantling this. Posts that I've cribbed from my other Web haunts will be the first to go, and then I'll start moving stuff to either FB or the virtual dustbin of the hard drive.

Adieu then, blogosphere. We'll always have Paris.

No comments: