Thursday, July 26, 2007

Slow Show

So, a few weeks ago I began working on a new writing project, the exact nature of which, as with other projects I've mentioned here, I'll be keeping under wraps at present. I'll also continue to refer to the project as a beast (or more specifically, a Beast), but I think naming projects after Frankenstein movies is growing a little thin--or at least it seems that way, since I've not actually taken any time to look up any more names. Please feel free to list them in the comments!

After discarding a few options -- okay, after discarding one option (Beast 2.0, which seemed too Web-trendy) -- I've settled on The New Beast.

It's a bit marketing heavy, like I'd reformulated Coke or something -- okay, it's pretty much exactly like New Coke, isn't it? Perhaps I need to go back to the drawing board on this one.

In any case, The New Beast is a dream project for me in many respects, particularly since it's based on a property that I already enjoy immensely (and which will hopefully be getting a lot more exposure in a few years). However, it does present challenges that I've not had to deal with on past projects. Namely, the world in which I'm writing is already well-detailed, and I'm not really adding new material so much as collecting it from different places and presenting it thematically. It seems somewhat akin to taking pieces from different jigsaw puzzles and making a new picture from them. So there's a lot of research and precision involved, and combined with the fact that I'm a slow writer on the best of days has made this particular project particularly challenging.

Still, I'm making good progress thus far and I'm quite amped for this to see this publication. And while I had intended this post to convey a "yup, haven't really been updating the 'blog much, don't expect it to change and here's why" message, it would appear that I've alreday contradicted it.

Next: More about music!

No comments: